Monday, November 30, 2009

DP Reels

Well, I've been looking through some DP reels. I find it very unfortunate that most of the aspects of a good DP reel relate to editing instead of cinematography. The best DP reels I've seen do not necessarily have the best shots. I wish this were not the case; I would like the format to be more streamlined so that a DP's shots are themselves what is being showcased. I would like to see a short title card or something similar before each shot that explains some technical details (camera used, filters, recording medium, lighting setup, and, especially, the intended effect), followed by a complete take or at least enough of it to get the gist. Instead, DP reels are all about scoring, pacing, and visual continuity from shot to shot. These are not traits of a DP that get him/her hired. In fact, I can't imagine that most DPs do their own DP reels, at least not alone. Why would you when you could hire an editor?

I don't want to sound pessimistic or like a jerk, but I really think that the DP reel, at least in the state in which I have been experiencing it, is a weak aspect of filmmaking. Making my own reel has been mostly a lesson in editing. The only cinematographic education involved has been selecting "good shots."

That being said, here are some reels I like:


DP Reel Dan Hertzog - For more of the funniest videos, click here


No comments:

Post a Comment