Friday, December 4, 2009

All the things I've learned

Well, I don't know where to start. It has been an info-packed semester for me. I think that over the course of the semester I didn't realize exactly how much I was learning in videography. Looking back now, I would not want to be the less knowledgeable Adam Nunley that started the class.

I remember near the beginning of the semester when we watched the opening of The Professional. That example served to point out that every single visual element of a professional (coincidence . . . I think not) video composition is designed and well thought out. This idea and its many implications are the crux of what I learned this semester. People in general do not realize the tremendous amount of work that goes into making a movie. They assume that the relatively brief nature of movie scene implies a brief amount of time spent composing. This is, of course, absurd.

The truth is that the cinematographer is a vital and horribly underappreciated crew member. At the very least the class has taught me to pay more attention to the DP credit.

I've learned more, though. Our forays into lighting were a lot of fun and have made me much more comfortable with lighting equipment. There is still a lot to learn, of course, but I think now I can handle simple light setups. I can at least know when it does and does not look right.

No comments:

Post a Comment